Friday 22 January 2010

Musical Windows

Today's Windows of Main Street U.S.A. in Disneyland Paris have a very musical theme to them.

They read (windows left to right):

J. Norworth
&
A. Von Tilzer
Songwriters

Take Me Out To The Ball Game
Now available in sheet music

"Take Me Out To The Ball Game" is the unofficial anthem of baseball, played during many matches and a fan-favourite. The song was penned in 1908 by Jack Norworth, who wrote the words on a Subway train, and Albert Von Tilzer, who set the words to music. Although both authors denied the song was written specifically for baseball!

Around the turn of the 20th Century, the song was very popular, and had been originally recorded by The Hayden Quartet Singing Group. Whilst the chorus hasn't changed since the 1908 version, some of the verses were updated and changed in 1927. The chorus goes as follows:

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.

No comments: