Wednesday 29 July 2009

World Showcase At Night...Mexico

I love taking photographs. I was known during my time as a Cast Member as the one always shouting 'Photo!' (or pronounced 'Fo'to in my Scottish accent), taking as many memories of everything as I could.

The other day I was sitting, having a look at some pictures from my last trip to Walt Disney World, and I came across some beautiful night photos I had been lucky enough to take. One of my favourites is of the Mexico Pavilion - and when I looked at it, and the architecture, I wanted to know a little bit more about it...


WDW March - Mexico Night

Let's have a look at what The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World tells us about this beautiful Pavilion:

In attempting to capture the spirit of the Mexican people, Imagineers turned their attention to the origins of that spirit. The resulting pavilion is derived from elements of each of their major pre-Colombian civilizations - the Mayan, the Toltec and the Aztec - as well as from the Spanish influence that has shaped their architecture and design.

The pyramid you enter to visit Mexico is a composite of Mesoamerican motifs dating back to the 3rd century, emphasising the Aztec style. Once inside, you find yourself in a gallery showcasing Mexican arts and crafts. The Sun Stone - or Aztec calendar - marks the way to the Plaza de los Amigos (Plaza of the Friends), an open-air marketplace brimming with activity. This market and the adjoining restaurant are placed in a nighttime setting in order to be more authentic to the operating hours of a typical Mexican market.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Very nice Fee. I myself am a big fan of night photography in Walt Disney World and the World Showcase is a target rich environment.

The Artwork of Christi Bunn said...

Lovely photo. I love the interior of the Mexico pavilion in both daytime and at night... but the exterior is really stunning lit at night. Thanks for sharing the info!