Sunday 18 October 2009

Let's Look...At The Crossroads

I adore Disney's Hollywood Studios - it's a fantastic park, although I am still getting used to the name change. And one of my favourite sights when I enter the park is the Crossroads of the World.
I recently purchased the book "The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" and in it they mention this particular location:
The crossroads is a replica of the original Crossroads of the World in Hollywood, California, with the addition of Mickey Mouse standing proudly on top. Not only doe the kiosk serve the functional purpose of providing park maps and various neccessities to guests, it also serves a less obvious purpose. Mickey has one ear higher than the other and his right hand is outstretched. What is he doing up there? His copper ear is grounded and acts as a lightning rod! [p128]

How clever! Although, I am sure I have seen this structure before, but in a smaller scale...

That's right - in Studio 1, in Walt Disney Studios, Paris, the building has been 'copied' and holds part of the large shopping store in the Studios. It is interestingly titled differently - "The Gossip Column".

No comments: